Hopefully by now you have been navigating around our website and have some sort of inkling of who we are as humans. Here we will attempt to make ourselves sound so appealing and inviting that when you read this you will become glazy eyed and automatically stop everything you are doing in order to plug in your GPS for Paducah.
But seriously here is a blurb about us:
Who are the folks behind Terra Cottage Ceramics???…
We are Michael and Victoria Terra (with two grown daughters, 4 cats, and dog). Michael is the ‘clay guy’ artist and Victoria is the logistics gal. We have been selling Michael’s artwork full time for over 12 years. We live in an Arts Community in Paducah, KY.
Most of our friends are other artists that live in our neighborhood. Our house is a two story brick shotgun with our display area, studio, and apartment on the ground floor and our home upstairs.
In the summer of 2011 we had our very first studio assistant come and live in our apartment and work with Michael. We thought it was going to be an interesting experiment and it turned out to be a terrific experience for all of us (so much so, that our very 1st studio assistant, Laura, is coming back for another summer). With a couple of assistants under our belt we are ready to expand and broaden our horizons…that’s where you come in. We’re looking for a conscientious, self-motivated individual that (while it is not a hard and fast prerequisite it is highly suggested) has experience throwing or sculpting in clay. Michael runs a detail oriented, fast paced studio and we are looking for just the right person to assist him in his everyday production schedule. In exchange for your help we will provide you with a fully furnished apartment, access to our studio AND you get to hang with Michael. We’re the kind of folk that want this to be a growing & learning opportunity for you so, while you are expected to help in the studio it is also our expectation that you will be using our facilities (and that includes picking Michael’s creative brain) in order to explore your own creative endeavors. It is important to us that we all benefit from this relationship. We will also do whatever you need in order for you to use this time toward college credit.
We are a non-smoking household and would prefer a non-smoking assistant (that is unless you’re on fire). If you are allergic to dogs or cats this is not the place for you because our pets have the run of the house.
- Basic studio maintenance; sweeping, dusting, wiping, some wedging, loading & unloading the kilns, sanding ware, washing ware, glazing, and packing & shipping of orders.
- Pet & garden care when we are off at shows.
- Once a week recycling run.
- Production of some minor ware.
- Manning the Display Area.
- Runs to Fed Ex & the post office.
- Any other appropriate tasks as assigned.
- 6 month to 1 year commitment.
What’s in it for you:
- Furnished one bedroom apartment with full laundry, kitchen, private entrance, cable, wifi and telephone.
- Access to our ceramic sculpture studio with two Randall potter’s wheels & kilns.
- Get to live in an arts community (check out the Paducah Artist Relocation Program).
- Good cookies and many shared meals upstairs with us.
- Opportunity to go to an art show…we will arrange for you to come to at least one show with Michael.
- Opportunity to get an intimate look at a functioning art business; product development, marketing, sales, and production.
If this sounds tantalizing to you then quickly pick up your phone and give us a call at 270-908-0090. We have an opening starting in September 2012.
We’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Victoria & Michael Terra